How Often to Change Air Filter in Car
When air enters the engine, it goes through an air filter. This filter is used to catch dirt and debris, which protects the engine and helps it last longer. When the air filter clogs up, however, it restricts air flow in the engine. This adds strain on the engine and makes it harder for it to “breathe.”
That’s why it’s crucial to replace the air filter when necessary. We here at Jaguar Albuquerque will tell you how often to change the air filter in your car as well as how exactly to clean an air filter. Read through the information below, then contact us to schedule service near Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, and South Valley!
When to Change a Car Air Filter
A car air filter should be changed every 15,000 to 30,000 miles, but it’s also a good idea to consult your owner’s manual. This interval may vary based on different factors, such as driving patterns and conditions. For example, if you drive on unpaved roads, it may need to be replaced more often.
If you don’t drive very often, the air filter should still be replaced at least every three years. This is because it’ll become brittle with age, and an old filter can tear, allowing dirt and sand to enter the engine and causing great damage to it.
Signs You Need a New Air Filter
There are several ways to determine when a new car air filter is needed. For instance, you may notice a decrease in gas mileage. When the air filter is dirty, it’s more difficult for air to get in, causing the engine to have to work harder. As a result, you may have to fill up the gas tank more often. If this is the case, you should probably replace the air filter as soon as possible.
A dirty air filter can also affect the entire emission control system of an automobile. This would gunk up the spark plugs, preventing them from sparking properly. If this happens, you may experience ignition problems, meaning that the car will start slowly or not at all.
A third way to determine if you need a new air filter is with a simple visual check. New air filters are usually either white or off-white in color. If the filter looks gray or filled with debris, it’ll need to be changed right away.
How to Clean an Air Filter
If the air filter is dirty but hasn’t yet become brittle, it’ll simply need to be cleaned. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Locate the air filter, referring to your owner’s manual if necessary.
- Open the canister and pull the old filter out.
- Vacuum the dry filter with a hose attachment. Do this for about a minute on both sides until all the dirt is gone.
- If you’d prefer, you also have the option to wash the dry filter. Fill a bucket with soap and water and then swirl the filter around. Take the filter out, shake off the excess liquid, and rinse it gently under running water.
- Place the wet filter on a towel and let it dry completely. Don’t put the filter in while it’s still wet, as that can damage the engine.
- Clean out the canister with a vacuum, soft cloth, or paper towel.
- Put the filter back into its housing.
Schedule Jaguar Service Today
At Jaguar Albuquerque, we can gladly clean or replace the air filter for you so that you can get back to your busy routine around Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, and South Valley as soon as possible.
Don’t wait—schedule service for your Jaguar vehicle today!